Monday, March 24, 2014

Identity

As trite as it sounds, the Mount has been a huge factor in the making of my identity. These past four years have allowed me to explore who I am and to step out of my comfort zone. I have held leadership positions at the Mount that I would not have even imagined I would do. I made friendships that I truly believe that will last a lifetime. Because of the Mount community, I was able to turn from a shy fourteen year old to an outgoing, independent seventeen year old.
In addition, my parents have instilled many traits that contribute to my identity. Coming from difficult backgrounds and gaining the courage to move to a new country, my parents gave my brother and me the opportunity of a lifetime to learn in the schools we have went to. Because of their hard work, they have instilled a strong work ethic in me. I am motivated to succeed only because of them. They have given me a sense of responsibility, independence, and maturity.
Finally, being Indian is a huge part of my identity. Sometimes I struggle with two worlds: either being too Indian in an American society of too American in an Indian society and it's difficult to find a balance. Nevertheless, many aspects of my culture have influenced my identity: respect, aspirations, and values I try to find in other people. "The Mindy Project" is a show that revolves around Mindy Kaling, who plays an Indian physician, and delves into all the trouble and mayhem and fun she has. Seeing her gives me a sense of pride and has made me even more proud to be who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment