Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Vocation

In Parker Palmer's excerpt, he uses the personal example of his granddaughter to talk about vocation: he delves into watching his granddaughter grow and examines what she does and doesn't like and how this may mold her future vocation. Palmer defines vocation as a voice that comes from inside that tells you to "be the person you were born to be." He also uses the example of his senior year in high school: he had initial plans of being a naval aviator and then an advertising man. Neither of these plans worked out, but Palmer describes this as his vocation. He found his passion that was subliminally hidden: writing and creating books. This was his vocation. This was who he was called to be.

On the other hand, Father Jim Martin opens up the discussion stating that there has been a stereotype of vocational calling, that it is something reserved for religious people. But he says that married couples were called to be married and to find their vocation together. Father Jim Martin also states that vocations come from deepest desires and that the biggest struggle is being who we actually are and not being someone else. Father Jim Martin uses examples of famous people, like Mother Teresa.

When people use the word "calling" to describe vocation, it imbibes a religious connotation which I don't like. Neither do I like the word "destined." Because stating that you are "destined" to be something, I feel, puts an external pressure. Maybe looking back on your life you can say that you were destined to be something, but as a seventeen year old, I don't know what I'm destined to be. But I know what I want to be. But I do like Father Martin's statement of finding your deepest desires, which could maybe show what your vocation could be. And, similarly, Palmer's way of finding his vocation that was hidden. I think vocation holds a different definition for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment