Love manifests itself in many ways that take on many forms. Presently, love has been confused with sex, and this misrepresentation is found in a majority of songs. On the other hand, some love songs overdo the sappiness that comes with first time love. In Enrique Iglesias's "Hero," he says, "I can be your hero, baby/ I can kiss away the pain/ I will stand by you forever/ You can take my breath away."
How long is all that supposed to last?
Given, he may have just fallen in love and wants to give everything and be everything for this girl. And maybe that is a quality of love that we should look forward to. But over time, it may become something that is inherently expected, but sometimes your significant other may not be able to give you advice or to be there for you.
In OneRepublic's "Counting Stars," the singer reflects on how he and his lover were struggling (financially, etc). I think this song provides a more accurate reflection because no one should expect their significant other to be able to take care of everything. Prince Charming isn't able to make all your money problems go away. And adapting to difficult situations, whether or not they are financial, takes effort from both people and could actually cultivate a better, stronger, and healthier relationship between the two.
"Say Something" by A Great Big World featuring Christina Aguilera has one, pretty powerful line: "And I will swallow my pride." Pride can definitely take a negative toll on any relationship and I think it's something that shouldn't be completely absent but it should not be completely present. Couples should be proud to be with the man or woman they are with. But sometimes pride can override the fundamental weaknesses that many couples face. A man can feel too proud to admit to his guy friends that he actually doesn't want to hang out with them on Friday and would much rather watch a movie at home with his wife/girlfriend. And if this keeps happening, the woman can feel second to her lover's friends. And of course this can happen the other way around.
Throwing it back to The Backstreet Boys' "As Long As You Love Me," the chorus says, "I don't care who you are/ or where you're from/ or what you did/ as long as you love me."As cute and sentimental as it is...I don't really agree with it. I personally do care who you are and where you're from and what you did because all of these things reflect your character. They reflect who you are as a person and what you can bring to a relationship and how compatible we would be.
Finally, one of my favorite songs is Ryan Huston's "Love You Forever," which carries a very typical message: "I'll love you forever/ I'll like you for always/...Together we'll be." This reflects the kind of love we're all looking for: someone who will love us and be there for us every single day. It's hard to find which is why people sometimes wait too long to get married. And then they feel like they've settled for less if their significant other doesn't fulfill all these things. But love and marriage is something that helps you grow. You can know everything about a person but not know the person. It's better to learn to love someone instead of finding your "soul mate."
No comments:
Post a Comment