I am so done. These "traditional" views are so fifteenth century that girls should not be educated because they will overthrow the government or take over positions. We could do just as good, if not a better, job. And why did it take so long?! Maybe because if the Nigerian president knew this information got out, countries and the UN would go after him to try and help the girls. As president, Goodluck Jonathan should be taking the initiative to help his own people anyway, but I think that the seriousness of the situation doesn't seem to be as valid as it would be if the same situation happened here.
The Boko Haram, right now, have the upper hand given that they have the girls taken hostage. But there is some intrinsic separation among the Nigerian people since they decided not to disclose the names of the Muslim girls who had been kidnapped. Who cares what religion these girls are!? They are missing and need to be found: that's the bottom line. In the end, whether they are Muslim or Christian, they are women of Nigeria.
If, God forbid, the same situation happened at Mount, everyone knows there would be several search parties going on. Parents would not hesitate to contact anyone who knew anything, nor would there be any delay. I'm pretty sure the Mount wouldn't attempt to hide anything, and they would be quick to get word out. I think communication within United States is very quick and efficient, confirming that action would be taken as quickly as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment